Western Australian Environmental Health Officers Professional Review Board
The Western Australian Environmental Health Officers Professional Review Board was created in 1988 to replace the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health Board (RSPHB). The RSPHB was responsible for conducting health inspections and examinations on behalf of the RSPHB of the United Kingdom. These examinations are now conducted at Curtin University of Technology.
The functions of the Board shall be:
- To assess the educational content and relevance of courses for qualifying awards and post-qualification awards by educational institutions in Western Australia in the field of environmental health or any of its specialities and if satisfied to grant recognition to such awards
- To generally oversee and keep under review the content and relevance of courses for awards by the Board, and if not satisfied to withdraw recognition of such awards
- To assess the educational content and relevance to Western Australia of courses for qualifying awards and post-qualification awards by educational institutions outside Western Australia, and where thought fit to grant recognition to such awards, either outright or on a reciprocal basis or with some other proviso
- To define the circumstances under which experience in the field of environmental health is required for appointment to the office of an environmental health officer, including the office of a Senior, Managing or Principal Environmental Health Officer, and to assess the nature and duration of the experience required, and the way in which it is to be certified for recognition by the Board, either generally or in a particular case or class of cases
- To prepare and keep under review in consultation with the Australian Institute of Environmental health (WA/NT Branch) a code or codes of professional conduct for environmental health officers
- To enquire into complaints referred to the Board relating to the competency or professional conduct of environmental health officers, and if upheld in full or part, to recommend appropriate remedial or disciplinary measures
- To investigate and advise on matters referred to the Board relating to the scope, manpower and structural requirements of environmental health services in Western Australia and
- To liaise with the State Council of the Australian Institute of Environmental Health (WA/NT Branch) for the advancement of environmental health officers in Western Australia.
For further information contact the Lindsay Gillam of the Environmental Health Directorate on (08) 9388 4961 or email Lindsay.Gillam@health.wa.gov.au
[Top of page]
Last Updated: 12 August 2011