WA Department of Health provides immunisation education to health professionals within the state and beyond. ‘A comprehensive immunisation course for registered nurses is available in a online mode and can be accessed via the link below. The online immunisation update provides updated information on all aspects of immunisation and serves to enhance immunisation knowledge. To find out more about this free update, scroll down to Online Immunisation Update
A short course on Immunology and Immunisation for nurses
A short course on Immunology and Immunisation for nurses has been developed by South Australia Health with input from CDCD. It is a high quality online training course that uses animation and interactivity to promote learning. It has been designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of immunology and immunisation to enable nurses to become confident and competent immunisation providers.
The course is endorsed by the Australian College of Nursing and attracts 50 CPD hours. It is equivalent to 100 hours of online learning.
Important information about the course for nurses in WA
- All previously issued Immunisation certificates from the WA Department of Health will continue to be recognized. Nurses already possessing WA Immunisation certification are not required to do ‘A short course on Immunology and Immunisation for nurses’ online course.
- This course is an approved program of study leading to authorisation for registered nurses immunising in WA. However, please be reminded that in WA, nurses are to vaccinate under a medical order, unless they meet the requirements of the Vaccine Administration Code (VAC). Nurses employed by the following groups meet the requirements of the VAC.
• Nurses employed by the Department of Health
• Nurses employed by Local Government Authority
• Nurses employed by the Aboriginal Health Council of Western Australia or
• in a health service that is a member of the Aboriginal Health Council of Western Australia
- You must have an AHPRA number to register for the course.
- The course requires access to the internet . The system requirements are listed and should be checked prior to purchase. Animation, interactivity and audio may not be supported on some devices such as iPads or iPhones.
- The program must be completed within a period of 20 weeks from the date of registration.
- A self-registration process requires you to create a unique user name and password which enables you to login anywhere, anytime.
An assessment follows most chapters and you must achieve 100% in each assessment within a maximum of three attempts to allow you to progress through the course.
The course costs $198 inclusive of GST. Payment is made online through a secure PayPal system. Student registration is individual based and cannot be transferred from one student to another.
To find out more about the course and to register, please access the South Australian Health website
Clinical Competency Guide
The clinical competency assessment guide will assist individuals to identify their level of competency with regards to immunisation practice.
The guide contains the various immunisation competencies and allows the individual to be assessed against them.
Please note that this assessment is not a mandatory requirement of the immunisation course, instead is an optional guide.
To access the assessment template, please use the clinical competency guide below.
Online Immunisation Update
The Online Immunisation Update has been developed by the Communicable Disease Control Directorate (CDCD), WA Health. Providing WA immunisation providers with this inaugural update, creates an opportunity for 24/7 access to current immunisation education.
The Online Immunisation Update creates a solution to the provision of immunisation updates, in an efficient and effective manner to immunisation service providers.
- Although nurses with immunisation certification are required to undertake an annual update to maintain their certification, the update is also available to all immunisation providers as a tool to increase immunisation knowledge.
- The update comprises of four modules including scenarios and quizzes.
- It will take approximately 3 hours to complete and can be done over multiple sessions.
- You will be able to print a certificate upon successful completion of all modules.
It is your responsibility to store this certificate safely as it is evidence of completing the update .
The Online Immunisation Update is provided FREE of charge.
The program should be usable on most dekstop browsers. The minimum software requirement for viewing presentations within the program is Flash Player 8 or later. Go to the Adobe Flash Player website (external site) to download.
For use with an iPad iOS6.0 or later and Articulate Mobile Player v2.12 (external site) or later is required.
Please allow pop-ups from our program to allow full usage of the Online Immunisation Update. This can be done from the tools tab in your browser settings.
© All material within the Online Immunisation Update is subject to copyright
To register and begin your training, please visit the Online immunisation update.
Please access the Frequently asked questions (Word 72KB) document for more information.
Recognised prior learing (RPL)
Immunisation providers who hold immunisation course certificates from outside Western Australia are eligible to apply for recognised prior learning(RPL). RPL applications need to be received by the 25th of each month. Any applications received after the 25th will be reviewed in the following month’s intake. The review process takes approximately 2-3 weeks . To apply for RPL, please follow the below instructions.
For any other queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Vaccine Update e-mail list:
The Vaccine Updates e-mail list is the quickest way to keep informed of all things immunisation. The best way to sign up is to send your full name and email address to email@example.com and write subscribe in the subject.