Moulds are types of fungi that can grow on a range of materials that are damp and usually in dark places. Moulds:
- Need moisture to grow
- Thrive in high humid conditions
- Can grow on walls, timber, carpet, furniture and fabrics
- Can give off an odour which many people find unpleasant
- Cause people to sneeze and
- Can cause asthma attacks and other respiratory illness in at risk children and adults.
Moulds can cause a problem in many households particularly during the winter months. The most practical ways of controlling mould growth is by using ventilation, heat and insulation.
Read the Mould and condensation in your home (PDF 484KB) fact sheet for further information on controlling mould growth in the home.