The Pharmaceutical Services Branch of the WA Department of Health provides advice, develops policy and administers regulatory controls for medicines including drugs of dependence (Schedule 8 medicines), therapeutic goods and poisons in Western Australia. The Pharmaceutical Services branch is responsible for the administration of the Poisons Act 1964 and the Poisons Regulations 1965.
Areas of the Pharmaceutical Services Branch:
Drugs of dependence (Schedule 8 medicines)
- Issues authorisations to prescribe Schedule 8 medicines and monitors the prescription of Schedule 8 medicines from reports received from pharmacies.
Licences and permits
- Issues licences and permits authorising the possession, supply and sale of medicines and poisons.
Community Program for Opioid Pharmacotherapy (CPOP)
- Authorises prescribers and patients participating in the Community Program for Opioid Pharmacotherapy (CPOP).
Stimulant Regulatory Scheme
- Administers the Stimulant Regulatory Scheme which sets controls on the prescribing and dispensing of stimulant medicines (dexamphetamine and methylphenidate) in Western Australia.
Highly Specialised Drugs (HSD) program
- Administers the Highly Specialised Drugs (HSD) Program on behalf of the Department of Health, where the Commonwealth Government funds the use of specified expensive medicines through WA public hospitals.
Strategies to implement a national approach to poisonous chemical controls – COAG Consultation Regulation Impact Statement – National Coordinating Committee on Therapeutic Goods
The Standing Council on Health (SCOH) have released a consultation Regulation Impact Statement (RIS) on strategies to implement a national approach to poisonous chemical controls, as set out in the Standard for Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons (SUSMP). The Consultation RIS considers options to improve national consistency of poisonous chemical regulation.
The Consultation RIS can be found on the Queensland Health website at: www.health.qld.gov.au/ph/ehu/drugs_poisons.asp
||(08) 9222 6883 |
||(08) 9222 2463 |
||PO Box 8172 |
Perth Business Centre WA 6849